Friday, February 25, 2022

Two stamps from the Ukraine

I was away for a week in Florida (I'll include some photos in a couple of posts). And this week I have been busy with other things. But before I return to the IGY proper, today I am thinking of Ukraine.

So I bought two stamps to give some philatelic tie-in to my unhappiness at what is going on there. The first is a souvenir sheet (with simulated perforations) commemorating Independence Day of Ukraine, showing a map of Ukraine against the background of the globe, a rainbow of national colors and viburnum bushes in the form of a festive fireworks. Just like the collaborators during the IGY, Ukraine is one country among many in the world. 

Scott #194, issued Sept. 3, 1994 (colnect.com)
 
The current form of the Ukrainian Independence Day holiday was first celebrated in 1991, as the first anniversary of the Declaration of State Sovereignty of Ukraine passed by Ukraine's parliament in 1990.

In Ukraine, the flowering plant Viburnum opulus is an important element of its traditional folk cultures, and is seen as a national symbol. 

On the other stamp I bought, Ukraine honored the World Meteorological Organization, about which I recently posted. This stamp commemorated the 50th anniversary of the founding of the WMO. The work of this organization was very connected to the meteorological studies of the IGY.

Scott #378, issued March 10, 2000 (colnect.com )

Solidarity with the people of the sovereign nation of Ukraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment