Thursday, January 05, 2023

A new way to subscribe to this (and other) blogs?

If you are looking for my last post with IGY content, look at the previous one. My posts continue to be less frequent than they used to be. But I have a couple ideas for posts up my sleeve.

I briefly had this post up earlier, hence the date of Jan. 5. But I unposted it in order to do a little more testing. It seems like a few months ago, Blogger disabled the ability to subscribe to receive email notifications of blog posts, and also no longer sends out notifications of posts for those who had previously subscribed. My editor found something online verifying this had happened, although I can't relocate that. I don't know why this useful feature was disabled. As an alternative, I am planning to email previous subscribers or anyone who is interested when new posts come out. Email me if you want to opt out of that.

So I am testing one alternative with this post. I came across the website Blogtrottr. The home page says that "Blogtrottr delivers updates from all of your favourite news, feeds, and blogs directly to your email inbox, giving you the flexibility to stay updated whilst on the go." Ok, maybe it is Canadian or British, but that's ok.

From the Blogtrottr web page

To get started you input the URL of the blog feed you wish to subscribe to and your email address. I did this for myself for this blog and a few others to see if it worked.

It indeed seems to work fine, generating an email to me when one of my selected blogs has a new post. You receive an email with the text of the blog that you registered. The email does come with "personalized" ads, and you don't get the option to skip or change what some algorithm thinks is an ad that is right for you. Of course, it is hard to be sure what happens to any information about ourselves that we reveal on the internet. But you could consider using Blogtrottr if you are so inclined. If you know of an alternative approach, please let me know.

This post has pretty much nothing to do with the IGY itself, although sharing information effectively was a key part of that endeavor.

1 comment:

  1. Cool, thanks for making this easy! I'm now following again (I think), but maybe you can send out one last email when the next post goes live, just to double-check?

    ReplyDelete