Thursday, January 20, 2022

Two Sputnik 2 - Laika first day covers from Romania

When working on yesterday's post, I forgot to check my cover albums to see if Laika was lurking there. During the night I recalled that I had two first day covers of the 1957 Sputnik 2-Laika stamps from Romania. The scans are below. Cancellation dates are Dec. 20, 1957, the date of issuance of the stamps (as you would expect for a first day cover). The top cover is postmarked from Timasoara, which is the main economic, social and cultural center in western Romania. Bucharest, the capital and largest city, is in the southeast. I can't make out the postmark location on the second one. Both covers have cachets denoting the IGY/Geophysical Year, and both denote orbits, the top one suggesting electrons orbiting an atomic nucleus, the bottom one clearly showing a satellite orbiting Earth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment