Sunday, May 01, 2022

One-page philatelic exhibits for the American Topical Association

The American Topical Association has, for the second year, solicited contributions for a gallery of philatelic exhibits that are just one letter-sized page. "The My One-Page Exhibit! Program is an ATA initiative to encourage new and experienced exhibitors to create single-page presentations of philatelic material that especially interest them."

Last year I had a 1-page exhibit derived from my IGY collection. It seems that the ATA did not keep links to last year's exhibits active, but you can find a copy of my exhibit here.

This year I have a 1-pager about the encounter of the USS Constitution, aka Old Ironsides, with the Long Beach earthquake of March 10, 1933. You can see that poster here, or below.

Since I recently discussed the slide rule in a post about the IGY's Phototrack program, you might be interested to look at the 1-page exhibit about the slide rule portrayed on stamps, of which the author David Walker found only 11 examples. He also shared with me a 2015 article showing philatelic examples of slide rules from the Slide Rule Gazette

And, of course, you can browse the other exhibits on quite a variety of topics.

While I'm at it, Happy May Day. Wikipedia says "May Day is a European festival of ancient origins marking the beginning of summer, usually celebrated on 1 May, around halfway between the spring equinox and summer solstice." In kindergarten, I participated in the Maypole dance


while wearing pink pants with suspenders. Hmm, I need to find that photo.

Wikipedia goes on to say about May Day: "In 1889, it was chosen as the date for International Workers' Day by the Second International, to commemorate the Haymarket affair in Chicago and the struggle for an eight-hour working day. As a result, International Workers' Day is also called 'May Day', but the two are unrelated."

In a short investigation, I came up with three U.S. stamp that honor labor or unions. These are:

  • Scott 1082 (1956), for Labor Day (I know, not the same as May Day), featuring a design from the mosaic mural at the AFL-CIO headquarters in Washington. I have this stamp in my childhood collection:

  • Scott 988 (1950), honoring Samuel Gompers who helped found the Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions in 1881, later reorganized as the American Federation of Labor (AFL) with Gompers as president.
  • Scott 2848 (1994), honoring George Meany, president of the AFL from 1952-1979 (spanning the IGY).

No comments:

Post a Comment